On this edition of the Exchange Paul and Craig discuss the shooting in Charleston, South Carolina, new presidential candidates, and other news.
Nine people were shot and killed on Wednesday June 17th at a church in Charleston, South Carolina.
The shooting has now been deemed a hate crime and the shooter, 21-year-old Dylann Roof is now in custody after being apprehended in Shelby, North Carolina.
According to officials, the shooting took place shortly after a Bible study that Dylann had taken part in. After the Bible study ended Roof stood up, began spewing hate speech, and then began shooting the other participants of the Bible study.
“It doesn’t matter where you come from on the political spectrum, as Bible believing Christians we need to stand up and say ‘No’ to events like this.”
Among the victims, pastor Clementa Pinckney, who had been the pastor of the congregation since the age of 18. Also a state senator, in 1996, Pinckney was the youngest African American at the age of 23 to be elected to the legislature in the state of South Carolina.
How can I pray?
• For families of the victims of the shooting as they mourn.
• For the community of Charleston as they grieve.
• For racial tension to subside and unity to be restored.
Several new presidential candidates have officially announced their candidacy this week.
• Former Republican Governor of Florida
• In favor of immigration reform
• Not in favor of raising taxes
• Opposed to Affordable Care Act
• In favor of education reform
• Opposes same-sex marriage issue should be dealt with on state level
• Conservative view of abortion and gun-control
• Former United States Secretary of State
• President should waive deportation of illegal immigrants
• In favor of Affordable Care Act
• Abortion should be legal but other options should come first
• In favor of making same-sex marriage legal
• In favor of cutting middle-class taxes
• Former Republican Governor of New York
• Climate change is real
• State should ban some assault weapons
• Finger prints required to purchase firearms
• Colorado as testing ground for legalized Marijuana
• In favor of the Patriot Act
• Supports repealing Affordable Care Act
• Republican business mogul
• Fiscal conservative aligning with the Tea Party
• In favor of tax cuts
• Seeks to repeal Affordable Care Act
• 2nd amendment supporter
• Marriage between one man and one woman
• Inconsistent stance on abortion
How can I pray?
- For wisdom for the American people electing the next president.
- For Biblically-based values to be restored to the fabric of America.