This is one of the busiest times of the year. There are Christmas parties, church and school programs, shopping, wrapping, cards to mail…the list goes on and on. Parents can become overwhelmed and time with the kids can suffer.
- For parents the key is to be is to be intentional. If the parents are intentional it’s likely they will achieve the goal of NOT short-changing the kids.
- Parents can keep the connection strong by choosing to work and choosing to play with their children. Working together takes a minimal amount of creativity and cost. It’s simply a matter of determining an age-appropriate task the child can do with the parent.
- Here’s a simple example of working together. Give a young child the shaker of decorating sprinkles and let him decorate the cookies Older kids can actually help with the baking. This won’t make the process more efficient, but that’s not the primary goal.
- Almost any job can be tailored to the age of the child. Working together makes a child feel needed – an important benefit. The parent is accomplishing a task AND connecting with the child.
- Playing with your children means playing what the kids want to play. You might imagine you have absolutely no time for play during this busy season, but remember playing together strengthens your relationship. Break out the Monopoly Board and play for a pre-determined amount of time. Then leave it in place and later pick up where you left off. Or engage in a quick game of Crazy Eights with the winner choosing the prime time Christmas Special for the evening.
- ‘Tis the season for programs – at church and at school. Whenever possible, Mom & Dad, plan to attend. Even if your child is one of 12 sheep and the only line she has is Baa-Baa, your child is Baaing just for you.
- The Take-Away? You have 18 years of hands-on parenting before you become an unpaid consultant. That’s 18 Christmas seasons. Be intentional about making the connection between you and your kids a strong one.
What are some ways you connect with your kids during this busy season?
Leave a comment
Have someting to add? Login or quickly create an account to leave a comment.
Login or Create Account