Valentine’s Day may be over, but that doesn’t mean the romance has to end! Are you planning the standard dinner out, flowers and candy? If so, this is nice, but maybe it’s time to infuse a little more excitement into your relationship and keep romance alive.
The key is novelty! Our brain is wired for it. Novelty helps rekindle romance by triggering the same areas of the brain that lit up when the two of you met.
Do something new to stimulate your relationship. New experiences stimulate dopamine in the brain and that brings feelings of romance.
Here are a few ideas to rev up the romance:
- Do a couple’s spa night. Schedule the two of you for relaxation and pampering. Check online coupon sites for deals.
- Show love to a stranger or person in need. As a couple, go to a homeless shelter, children’s hospital, pet rescue or a setting where showing love can bring joy to others.
- Picnic somewhere scenic. Take a blanket, a basket of food and drink and find a beautiful spot to picnic. For those of us in more northern climates, it may have to be an indoor place with a view, so be creative. You might even drive to a scenic place and picnic in your car. Or, if you have a fireplace, spread the picnic out on the floor!
- If you can afford it, go to a nice hotel and truly get away. Turn off devices and enjoy the time together. Spend time in new conversations. What are your dreams, hopes, bucket list, etc.
- Do something you never do. Sign up for a cooking class, go on a hike, go bowling or play laser tag. I’m sure you can think of a new activity. Remember, new stimulates the brain!
- Create love notes all over the house with clues on how to find them.
- For those of you with a more creative side, write a poem, compose a song, or find quotes that express your love.
- Recreate your first date. You may not be able to go back to the exact location, but you could use pictures, maps and reminders of the place, then create the date and relive the memory.
- Create a surprise. Don’t tell your partner where you are going or what you will be doing. Add a few clues along the way. This is fun and novel.
- Pull out old photos and reminisce about the most romantic times. Put on soft music, candles and set the atmosphere for more to come!
Create a memory that strengthens the couple bond by doing something new to bring passion to your relationship. Romantic love doesn’t have to fade over time. It just needs a few shots of novelty once in a while!Ignite a little romance this Valentine's Day
Leave a comment
Have someting to add? Login or quickly create an account to leave a comment.
Login or Create Account