Thousands of kids are falling through the cracks between child protective services and the foster care system—or stuck in homes where sporadic abuse creates havoc. In the middle of these needs is a growing ministry called Safe Families for Children, providing support for children and their parents in times of crisis and chaos.
Since 2005, this remarkable organization has offered sanctuary to thousands of kids, minimizing the risk of abuse or neglect and giving parents the time and tools they need to help their families’ thrive. Safe Families for Children strives to meet three objectives:
Child Welfare Deflection
Providing a safe alternative to child welfare custody, thus significantly reducing the number of children entering that system.
Child Abuse Prevention
Providing an overwhelmed and resource – limited parent with a safe, temporary place for their child without the threat of losing custody
Family Support and Stabilization
Many parents struggle because of limited social support and unavailable extended family. Many Safe Families volunteers become the extended family that a parent never had.
David Anderson is the founder of Safe Families for Children, and he speaks to the profound difference the organization is having on the status quo.
“Our calling to serve and love our neighbor shouldn’t be based on the outcome” – David Anderson
Topics we address in our interview include:
• Safe families is really a movement of the Church, a grassroots effort to serve Jesus by loving His people.
• We hear an admonishment to come alongside families in crisis.
• There’s further, practical information on really supporting parents to be the best for their kids.
• There’s a growing movement of compassion that’s helping prevent child abuse.
• Stay at home moms have been some of the biggest champions for this ministry in the Midwest. The volunteers really do make a difference.
• Resources are limited, and churches are a major force in helping stand in that gap.
A great first step to helping is to head to the Safe Families website and see if there is a local representative in your area.
It doesn’t have to be long-term hosting scenario. It could be even for three weeks or a month. It’s about serving, and it’s about loving.
Leave a comment
Have someting to add? Login or quickly create an account to leave a comment.
Login or Create Account