Today marks the beginning of Commit to Live Fit! 40 Day Challenge, and the beginning of Lent.

This Week’s Lenten Focus: Washed in the Water of the Word

What is Lent? Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ – his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection. [1]

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness -1 John 1:9

This Week’s Disciplines
Drink Water
Read the Word

We receive many health benefits when we drink plenty of water. And even more importantly, God changes us from the inside out when we read His Word, believe what He says, and follow His lead. This week we’ll focus on the cleansing aspects of drinking plenty of water and of spending time in God’s Word.

You’ll notice that the disciplines each week are easy to do, but just as easy to let go of. Lean in; engage with God as we take this journey. You carry the treasure of the Spirit of the Living God in you!  Ponder this week the power of God’s cleansing work in your life. He’s made you new! No spot or stain on you! Care for your physical and spiritual health in a way that honors God.

Physical Discipline:  Drink Water
Many experts suggest we need 8-10 glasses of water a day. My husband added this one discipline to his daily routine and lost 10 pounds in one month! Fitness expert, Wendie Pett, suggests we drink the equivalent to half our body weight (in ounces). So if you weigh 200 pounds, you need about 100 ounces of water a day.

Either way, it’s time to up your water intake and here’s why:

• Great for hair and skin
  • Helps digestion and metabolism
  • Helps muscle function

Dangers of Dehydration:

• Muscle spasms and cramps
  • Neurological impairment
  • Digestive issues
  • Dry skin and hair
  • Headaches
  • Water retention

When we drink too much soda, we lose our taste for water. I challenge you to find a fun water bottle and raise your water intake starting today!

Spiritual Discipline: Read the Word
If you don’t have a regularly established quiet time, take that first step. Set aside 10-15 minutes each day, open the Word and prayerfully read. If you’re new to reading the Bible, start with the books of Psalms, Proverbs, or the Gospel of John. If you already have an established quiet time, the challenge to you is to extend your time by adding a few extra minutes each day dedicated solely to reading God’s Word. Scripture is living and active and will change your life!

Here’s why God’s Word is so important to us:

• It’s living and active and brings life, strength, and direction to our soul
  • It offers us wisdom and reveals God’s heart
  • It teaches us how to live and brings clarity where there’s confusion

Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life. -John 4:13

Jesus answered, ‘It is written: Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ -Matthew 4:4

Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. -Ephesians 6:17

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable. -Hebrews 12:13-14

Dangers of doing life apart from the Word:

•  We lose our way
  • We adjust our theology to match our lives (rather than the other way around)
  • We’re easily deceived by the enemy

I’ll be praying for you as you add these healthy yet simple disciplines to your life. May you flourish in health, both physically and spiritually!

Let’s do this!

Jesus, I pause today and remember that You came to earth for me. Thank You for living, for dying, and for defeating sin and death on the Cross. I commit this Lenten journey to You. Increase my capacity to know You, to love You, and to follow You wholeheartedly. Help me to understand what it means to be washed thoroughly clean because of Your victory on the Cross. Draw me close to You and fill me up until I’m spilling over with joy and health and a strong sense of Your goodness. Thank You for loving me like You do. You are everything to me. Amen.

[1]Lent Description from About.com (Christianity)

How do you plan to incorporate these disciplines into your week?

What are your goals for the next 40 days?

136 Responses to "Commit to Live Fit! Week One"

• Kim A says:

I am really looking forward to having this weekly challenge added to my wellness plan I just started today!! I just had my 1st session with a personal trainer today too and that is part of a 12 week nutrition and wellness program in my area! I regularly participate in bible studies but I need to be more consistent when it comes to sitting down to read the word first thing in the morning!!

• Jennifer Chatman says:

I’ve already challenged myself to read my Bible through the year for 2015 and I’m doing well with it, I’ve really been enjoying what I have been reading. I have learned many new things, that didn’t catch my eye before. Also my sister challenged my mom and I to participate in Beth Moore’s Siesta Scripture memory and I am doing okay with, I have a hard time memorizing but I’m still enjoying it as I hide God’s word in my heart.
    Drinking eight glasses of water a day will be a challenge to me. I use to drink mostly water and just got out of the habit. I’m a big Dite Dr Pepper fan and if I have soda in my fridge I tend to go for it over the water, but I want get back to where I drink more water like I did before I met my husband. I’m really glad I have the opportunity to do this challenge and I can’t wait to see how God works through my life as I learn to take care of His temple once again.

• Jennifer Chatman says:

I’ve already committed to reading my Bible through the year and I’m doing well with it. I’m also doing Beth Moore’s scripture memory verse challenge for 2015 and have enjoyed memorizing the verses. I use to drink lots of water in fact I had gotten to where i didn’t drink soda at all, but have gotten back into the habit of drinking soda and not drinking water as often as I should. I have been wanting to get back in the habit of drinking more water again and getting rid of the soda habit. I’m thankful for this 40 day faith and fitness challenge, I’m glad I signed up!

• Rick says:

I am already a daily Bible reader but drinking enough water is a challenge for me (I’m one of those soda drinkers you spoke of!). I’m doing the challenge with my wife and we’re hoping that this next 40 days will establish some habits in caring for our physical and spiritual health that will last well beyond the challenge. The time has come for change!

Dear Rick,
      Good for you! It’s amazing how these small, subtle disciplines can make a huge difference in our lives. SO glad to have you along on this journey with us! May God give you grace and strength and may you notice the benefits and blessings of these disciplines right away. Keep us posted!

2. Keon says:

I am very thankful for this wonderful opportunity. I believe this is the support I needed to assist me in continuing my journey in the Lord. Thank You!

• Melissa Holley says:

For the past few years I’ve said that I was going to do this challenge and I would print out each week but not do anything with it. My prayer this year is that I can get someone to walk through this with me to help keep me accountable. Thanks for having this option for us each year Susie. It is truly appreciated.

Dear Melissa,
      I’m grateful this is your year! I do pray God’s precious grace empowers you in a way you’ve never experienced before. May you feel divinely motivated to do these things that are so good for your soul and your health. Really glad to have you on this journey with us!

• Barbara Mitchell says:

I am really excited as we begin this journey, and really love the word and am doing a reading each day from our church in the Old, New, Psalms and Proverbs…I have noticed lately that my prayer life is lacking..so I hope you will cover this subject during the weeks as well. As for the water, I’m a bit of an odd ball in the fact that my doctor has told me I can’t drink that much water daily…so I’m going to try to increase slightly. Bless you Susie for your encouragement.

Good for you, Barbara!
      One great way to inspire your prayer life is to pray the Word as you read it. In fact sometimes, I’ll write out portions of scripture in prayer form and it’s absolutely powerful. And I’m glad that you already drink enough water! Thanks for joining us on this journey. Bless you, dear sister!

• Susan Hillier says:

I am looking forward to being encouraged and accountable.
    My word for 2015 is discipline, because I have not been disciplined for me than a few years.
    I have started a read the Bible in a year program and hope this will keep me in the Word on a daily basis, along with each new activity
    That will keep me doing good things for myself…

1. Susie Larson says:

Susan, I’m glad you’ve decided to join us! It’s amazing how–as I often say–easy these disciplines are to do (and easy NOT to). I pray God gives you a holy motivation to do these things for your soul and for your health in a way that strengthens and surprises you! One day at a time, sweet Jesus! Like Jimmy Page said on today’s show: Win today. Let that be your goal. Win today!
      Bless you!

• Teresa says:

This is such a good combination, we do need water and we also need God’s word to survive each day. I pray as we drink our water we are reminded of everything our Heavenly Father does for us, think of one of his many attributes, praise him and thank him. May our thirst continue to grow for God’s amazing word. I love him big time 🙂
    Thank you Susie, God bless you!!!

Teresa,
      I couldn’t have said it better myself! Thanks for your post! I love Him big time too. 🙂 Isn’t He just the best? 🙂 Bless you!

• Donna says:

Day One! Here we go! I find I grab a water bottle when I head out of the house, but on days when I don’t have any errands or places to me, I don’t. So this will make me more accountable to grabbing that water no matter what I’m doing. My husband and I signed up together. So my hope is that we have a common goal and commitment together. It’s sometimes hard to be on the same page with each other when one is off to work all day, and the evenings are taken up with the boys and their extra curriculum activities.

Dear Donna,
      I totally get how hard that can be, trying to sync your disciplines together when you have different schedules. Maybe you both can tackle these disciplines in a way that works for you personally, and then come together at the end of the day and talk about what worked and what didn’t. Either way, I pray you find yourself engaging with God in a way that strengthens you and makes you healthy and strong. God is for you! And we are cheering you on!

• Mary L says:

I already drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day, so I will continue that practice.

I will find time to set read my Bible. I struggle with this. Sometimes I feel so far from God when I try to read His word. I believe what it says and know it is true, just don’t always understand it.

My main goal for the next 40 days is to become focused on what God want for me. To recognize His will and be obedient to His will. Sometimes I’m like a little child and mentally stamp my feet and so no I want to do it MY way. I really need strength and guidance to stop this and do what I know it God’s will for me.

Dear Mary,
      I so appreciate your honesty! Maybe start by reading the Psalms, Proverbs, or one of the epistles (Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, or Colossians). Also, if you need a good devotional to help the word come to life, here are a few suggestions: Streams in the Desert (love this!), by L.B. Cowman, Draw a Circle (love this one too), by Mark Batterson, Jesus Calling (love!) by Sara Young, and I have a couple of short devo books as well (Blessings for the Morning, and Blessings for the Evening). Sometimes a short devotional reading can really help the Word make more sense to you. Hope that helps!
      God bless you as you take one faith step at a time!

1. Mary L says:

Thank you for your suggestions and support. I appreciate it so very much.

• Jamie R. says:

I’m doing the 40 day challenge and have had trouble drinking enough water until a friend suggested I put a slice of lemon, lime and cucumber in my drinking bottle…. BOY! What a difference – really refreshing.
    Hope this helps! Jamie R. Albert Lea, MN

1. Dede says:

I also put a stick of cinnamon in my water. It’s refreshing, and cinnamon has great health benefits.

1. Melissa Holley says:

I’ve had lemon water and cucumber water but I never thought of adding cinnamon. I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks for the idea.

• Bj says:

Thanks for this! Perfect! Baby steps for me……can’t wait to be fitting a bigger size. <3

• Ellie says:

I have been ill and because of it dangerously dehydrated. This came at a time that may have just thrown me a life line! Thanks for doing this! I am doing it for my facebook friends as well. Thanks for all you do in Christ.

Dear Ellie,
      I sure know what it is to be sick and dehydrated! I pray God’s blessings on you as you take this 40 day journey. May He nourish you, strengthen you, and heal you! Just in time for spring! Bless you!

• yvette says:

I really don’t do well with drinking all the water I need so this is going to be good for me and I read daily but really want to go deeper in the word and with God needing more direction in my life.thank you for this challange

1. Susie Larson says:

That sounds great, Denise!
      What a great way to prepare for Easter. I pray this next 40 days is for you a sacred, beautiful journey. Bless you!

2. Susie Larson says:

Dear Yvette,
      For some reason my reply to Denise ended up under your post. Sorry about that. 🙂 I pray God gives you a new thirst for water and I pray He brings the Word to life as you read! God bless you!

• Denise R. says:

I have been looking forward to this Lenient journey. One thing my family does together during Lent is to give up fast-food dining. So adding more water and time with God as well as no fast-food.

Denise,
      My reply to you (for some reason) landed below Yvette’s post. 🙂 Just letting you know!

• Michele says:

I’m so excited and thankful for this 40 Day Challenge.
    My disciplines for this week will be to measure my water intake.
    I carry a water bottle everywhere I go, but have never really paid attention to how much I am drinking.
    As for my quite time, (while drinking my first glass of water), I will spend the 10-15 minutes with the Lord and in the Word, prayerfully giving myself to Him before I run off to work.
    I’m ready to “Take My Camp Back” as I dive into “Your Beautiful Purpose”

Love this, Michele!

I pray God meets you as you read, and pray, and spend time pursuing Him. May you most definitely get your land back! Bless you, dear!

• Lisa says:

Susie,
    I’m excited to join this journey w/u! I’m not really sure what to expect, but I’m in for the commitment to improve my health physically & spiritually. Thank you!!!

Way to go, Lisa!
      May God move in and through you in ways that surprise and bless you! I’m excited to do this journey with you!

• Susan Gremillion says:

My friend Penni and I have signed up to go on this journey together. Looking forward to the readings of our Lords Word and becoming stronger in my faith and my health!!

Dear Susan,
      So glad to have you with us! And congratulations! You’re one of the winners of Nancy Leigh DeMoss’s book on the names of Jesus. If you’d like to receive it, just email Grace@MyFaithRadio with your mailing address. Thanks and God bless!

• Susie Larson says:

Sara dear!
    Thanks for ALL you do to make Faith Radio a wonderful ministry. We love you to pieces. 🙂

• Renee says:

I plan on adding more water and continuing in the word. I am working on the Made to Crave Action Plan, and learning to crave God more than food!

Dear Renee,
      Welcome aboard! So glad you’re on this journey with us! And Lysa’s book, ‘Made to Crave’ is an excellent resource. Bless you!

• Cindy says:

My goal is to do the 15 to 30 minutes of quiet time with God everyday. I think I will start in the New Testament…the story of Jesus! Appropriate time of year.
    I will also increase my water….

Cindy,
      That sounds like a wonderful goal. May the Lord meet you in profound ways as you engage with Him on a deeper level. Glad you’re doing this journey with us!

• Mary says:

I drink 8 to 10 glasses of water most days, so I plan on continuing to do so.
    I intend to read my Bible every day for at least 15 minutes. This has always been a challenge for me.
    My goals for the next 40 days: to draw closer to my God and try to understand His will for me as I enter a new stage of my life. I am nearing retirement. Secondly, to focus on my quest for a healthy, strong body.
    I am praying this challenge will help with both goals.

Dear Mary,
      So glad you’re joining us on this journey! I love your goals and your heart to see God move in your midst. I pray He surprises you in ways that overwhelm you! Bless you, dear sister!

2. Susie Larson says:

Dear Mary,
      May God bless your efforts with great success! May He make you strong and healthy. May He bring clarity where there’s been confusion. And may He make a way where there’s been no way. God bless you, dear sister!

1. Mary says:

Thank you Susie for the prayers, I really needed it more than I knew. Bless you.

• Tanya says:

So thankful for this challenge. I have been bad about drinking water and reading my bible, so this will help me. I am reading the book of Job right now. When I finish it I will read the Gospel of John 🙂

Dear Tanya,
      It’s perfect timing, isn’t it? I’m so glad to be doing this journey as well. I pray you find increased health and deepened faith along the way. Bless you!

• Donna says:

Water is so life giving. I drink 1 1/2 full glasses of water first thing in the morning before I do anything. It seems to wake things up in my body. Then I make the coffee. 🙂 “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” John 10:10 My goal for this lenten journey is to know all that is meant by that abundant life that He promises.

Dear Donna,
      I pray God awakens your heart to a fresh understanding of what He means by His invitation and offer of abundant life. Bless you, dear sister!

• Judy says:

I am ready to start this challenge. I hope I don’t float away drinking so much water! Thanks to those who suggested hair bands to track number of glasses. Will buy a set today.

Dear Judy,
      So glad you’re joining us! May God bless you richly as you engage this Lenten season, both physically, and spiritually!

• ~carlin says:

It has been a day full of blessing! I’ll finish with one more glass of water and one more reading of Scripture. Peace be to you in Jesus Christ. 🙂

Dear Carlin,
      And peace to you as well! May God fill you up to overflowing as you draw near to Him! Bless you!

• Esther says:

Truly this Challenge both Spiritually and healthfully,comes at a great time.. Sometimes we need a little goal,challenge, push to go the distance, or and get on track.. I so need to lose a lot of weight.. so any suggestions would be great.. and also I want to get Spiritually fit as well.. I’m afraid to say I don’t read the bible everyday as I should.. so this is goal # 1 for me..even if I have to write the verses down place them all around my house and read them everyday..then that’s what I’ll do..and I love water..so that is a win for me..My goals for this 40 day challenge.. is to complete it..stay with it..get to the end with out quitting,and to be able to know the bible a little more each day..and to get my self a lot healthier on the way.. thank you for starting this challenge…Good luck everyone..and God Bless…

Dear Esther,
      So great to have you with us on this journey! May God overwhelm you with the daily grace to make the next right choice. May He show up in ways that surprise and bless you! And may He give you the desires of your heart!

2. Doris says:

Esther, I love your post and how honest you are. I want to encourage you. Back in October I made a commitment to health that has changed my life and has me feeling younger and more mobile. I write down what I eat and drink every day. I also write down any exercise that I did. When I make a healthy meal that I feel proud of I take a picture of it. I share my joys and trials along the way for support. I want to support you. I will be praying for you during this challenge. God bless your journey into being spiritually and physically fit.

• Sara says:

So excited to commit to Live Fit, and looking forward to this amazing journey:)

Dear Sara,
      Excited to have you! May God bless you and establish you in a healthy, divine rhythm!

• Sharon says:

Thank You for the encouragement!
    Hoping to be All God Created Me To Be!

Dear Sharon,
      We’re so glad to have you along for the journey. May God inspire you to engage with Him in ways you’ve never known before. May He awaken you to trust Him with your heart, your health, and the life He has for you. Bless you!

• Kathy says:

My goal this next 40 days is to “empty” me of self and fill me with the Living Water. To look back on this journey and say, ” I never knew there was so much more He wanted to teach me” and to stand in Awe again of our Great God and how much He loves me.

Dear Kathy,
      I couldn’t have said it better myself. What a beautiful desire! May He pour Himself out on you in ways that overwhelm and bless you! May you have a fresh understanding of just how dear you are to Him! Blessings to you, in Christ Jesus!

• Melissa says:

I’ll be finishing Beth Moore’s study Believing God during my time in our preparation for Easter. The water is such a good challenge for me right now! Thank you!!

Melissa,
      You are so right. The water is a great challenge for all of us. It’s way too easy to let go of, and so good for us to do! May God establish you in His highest and best purposes for you!

• Margaret says:

This is a great plan, more water!! I hope to give up late night TV and wake up earlier to get into the work and start my day with Jesus!! Thanks to Live the promise for lifting me up in the afternoons!!!!

Margaret,
      We’re so grateful that this 40-Day challenge blesses and inspires you. We’re excited about it! We’re praying every day for all of you, that you’d experience a fresh grace and inspiration to care for your health and nurture your walk with God in ways that bless and strengthen you. Thanks for joining us!

• Traci says:

I can always stand to be more spiritually disciplined and I really stink in the physical discipline department! I’m so thankful to be a part of this Commit to Live Fit! A little bit of accountability goes a long way for me. God bless us all as we honor Him in this season of Lent!

1. Esther says:

Hi, Traci.. I’m right their with you on the not good at the physical and getting fit discipline..so my friend lets encourage each other.. we can do it.. and “WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.” so lets do this…have a good, and healthy choices day… your challenge partner… esther

Esther,
        You are SO right! You can do this with God’s help and strength. I pray you experience God’s presence and encouragement like never before! Bless you, dear!

2. Traci says:

Thank you for the encouragement, Esther, and I’m glad you’re my challenge partner! I’m praying for you and I’ll be on the lookout for you here in the comments section! God bless you, my friend!

2. Susie Larson says:

Dear Traci,
      I’m grateful you’re joining us! May God inspire fresh vision and initiative when it comes to your health and your faith walk. May you feel a brand new motivation to exercise, to read, to pray, and to rest when you need it! God bless you, dear sister!

• Julie Williamson says:

Off to a great start! There are so many great things to adding the spiritual discipline with a physical, emotional, and mental one!!

Up for a great start and expecting an awesome finish!

Julie,
      Thanks for joining us on this journey! I pray God overwhelms you with joy and inspiration as you engage with Him in a deeper and more purposeful way. Bless you!

• Sandra says:

Susie, you are so right when you say that the less soda you drink the more water will taste better. 3 years ago I use to consume 3 cans of soda a day at work and precede to drink a 2 liter bottle of soda at night before I went to bed. Boy it doesn’t leave much time for water. Now I drink no soda at home (I’m retired) and I drink at least 10, 12oz glasses of water a day. I love water. Never thought I would ever say that,lol

Sandra,
      Good for you! I did the same thing many years ago. SO much better for you! I pray you enjoy this journey and that God reveals Himself to you in powerful new ways! Bless you!

• Yvonne Bastien says:

I can just say “ditto” to Patty Ogborn’s challenge. I do work two days a week so I get dressed those mornings….but otherwise I am a PJ lady till noon. I love my devotional readings and am good about them….but the dressing, getting things done, and drinking water will be my challenge!! I am happy I found this sight just in time. I am giving up sweets for lent by the way.

Yvonne!
      So glad to have you with us! I pray these simple disciplines make all the difference for you! As your mindful of your physical and spiritual health, may God move in and make Himself known to you in ways you’ve never experience. He moves on every act prompted by our faith. May He move mightily in your life!

• Dianna~ says:

Susie, “Thank You” for making these “changes” Doable, and not overwhelming~ It is the “doing” that enables us to go forward~
    ~I have a 30 oz. glass bottle that I am going to use as my “water bottle”, filling it up 3 1/2 times throughout the day, should get me my water intake~
    ~And being more “purposeful” Daily to my Bible Study. Some days seem to be more purposeful than others, so this will be helpful in developing “Steadfastness” in this area~
    “Thank You” for this opportunity to Grow~
    ~My Goal for the next 40 Days will be to develop a consistency that I will continue in and carry onward, and to instill Good Habits~

Dianna,
      It sounds like you’re ready to go! May God establish you in a healthy, powerful rhythm so you’ll be ready for the next assignment He has for you! Bless you, dear sister!

• Bev says:

My goal is to be committed. I love that this is during the season of Lent. My church affiliation has weekly mid-week Lenten services. I want to know God better and to love Him more and this is one of the tools God will use. Thanks, Susie!

Dear Bev,
      I love that this journey is during Lent as well! It really helps us focus on the our whole selves, as ones who belong to the Lord. I pray that He reveals Himself to you and draws you closer to Him in the days ahead. So glad to have you with us.

• Robyn says:

This is the ONE area I struggle most with, so I’m glad to see it’s the first challenge. Going to work towards making it happen.

Dear Robyn,
      May God bless your efforts abundantly and profoundly. And may each discipline be a blessing and life-giving to you! Thanks for joining us on this journey!

• Betty says:

I do have a daily quiet devotion time that I really miss if I do not have it. I do not drink nearly enoughh water daily especially in winter. Looking forward to this challenge to establish more good habits. Doing a group study of Dee B and a B Moore alone.

Yay, Betty!
      Glad you’re already established with your devotions and glad you’ll be drinking more water. May God establish you in a healthy rhythm this winter/spring! Bless you!

• Nicole Piotrowski says:

I also have felt sluggish and tired. I need to lose some weight. Thank you Lord for giving me this opportunity to start getting healthier as I read your Word…..Thank you.

Dear Nicole,
      Glad to have you with us! May God inspire you to engage with Him on a whole new level! May you be motivated to exercise, eat well, rest well, and pray deeply. God has a new place for you, Nicole! Be encouraged and take one step at a time! Bless you, dear!

• Dawn says:

I just want to let you other 40 Day Challenge folks know that there’s a daily Lenten devotional on the names of Christ available from Amazon as a FREE download today, tomorrow and Wednesday. I did today’s devo and it was good! Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Glory-Lenten-Devotional-Christ-ebook/dp/B00IOVIA4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393865459&sr=8-1&keywords=names+of+christ+lenten+devotional

Thank you, Dawn!
      God bless you!

• Patty Ogborn says:

Good morning C2LF! 40DCers!

My goals for these next 40 days are to:

1. Stop my physical laziness of staying in my pj’s well into the afternoon.

2. Get myself ready for the day (make the bed, shower, dress, “paint-the-barn” [apply makeup], eat)

2. Spend 10-15 munutes daily reading Scripture and praying.

To help keep myself focused and attain goal #1, today I set my kitchen timer for 15 minutes, did the tasks, and kept telling myself, “You can do this!” Okay, I had to reset my timer a couple more times, but thanks be to God, my body is dressed and ready for the day!
    [Thanks FlyLady.net]

To help myself drink more water daily (I need 8 glasses), I took out my water pitcher and measured 64 ounces (½ gallon, 2 quarts, 8 cups). Physically seeing the amount of water I need daily made it more “real.” Again, I told myself, “You can do this!”

I took out my glass (holds 8 ounces), filled it with water, and added 8 colorful hairbands to the top of the glass. When I finish drinking one glass, I slide a hairband to the bottom of the glass and refill the glass. Again, another fun visual aid!

May God bless each one of us on our 40-day Lenten journey! Christ’s peace, joy and fun be with you! Amen!

Dear Patty,
      I love this! Thanks for sharing! You CAN do this! I pray God takes your offering and multiplies it in your life in ways that both surprise and bless you! May you sense His invitation to a new season of life. Bless you, dear!

• I’ve been looking forward to starting this challenge! I am going to find a fun new water bottle today and gallons of water to start drinking more water. I also will keep 8 rubberbands on my water bottle, taking one off after drinking a full bottle so can keep track of how much water I drink! I started the one year bible plan in January and will keep that up on youversion. I am also starting Beth moore’s study on James, which will help me dive even deeper! Thankful for you, susie and excited for the next 40 days!

Sarah,
      Good for you! You sound like you’re ready to go! And you’ve got some healthy habits already established. I pray, as you walk through this journey to Easter, that God unveils His heart for you in a very personal way. I pray that as you seek Him, you’ll find Him in ways that change your life. He draws near as we draw near. I’m excited for what God has for you in the days ahead! Bless you!

• Lynda Steinbruckner says:

To incorporate these disciplines my plan is to replace water for coffee that I drink every day. For the next 40 days I will be taking 10 minutes daily and reading from the bible. It’s something I try to do but don’t. It’s my focus for 40 days.

Lynda,
      This sounds great. May God give you grace and peace as you implement these disciplines (and may they pay you back in huge dividends!). Bless you!

• Sally House says:

I am going to try and drink the water each day. I am disciplined with my devotions but the water has been a real challenge lately. Thanks for doing this. I look forward to a time of growth in the Lord and in what I need to do to eep this temple in shape.

Dear Sally,
      So glad to have you with us. You know? These small disciplines make a huge difference in our lives. I do pray you notice the fruit of it right away. God loves you so very much! May you grow in ways that are beyond your expectations!

• Candace says:

My goal is to draw closer to God and to be healthier at the end of the 40 days and have a great start to continued health improvement

Candace,
      I pray you grow strong both physically and spiritually! I pray God shows you things from His Word that you’ve never noticed before! And I pray that God motivates you to invest in your health in a way that strengthens your frame and gives you a healthy balance. May this be a life-giving journey for you!

• I need the accountabity to stay consistent. So this is a good way to do it. Thanks Life Radio!

Dear Tracey,
      So glad to have you with us! I pray God moves mightily in your life as you engage with Him on a deeper level. May God reenergize you in your physical and spiritual health! Bless you!

• Karen Pederson says:

Did some reading psalm 27 Got my glass, off to work

Dear Karen,
      Yay! Glad you’re with us! May God bless you as you do this journey with us. May you experience physical vitality and spiritual renewal. Bless you!

• Darla says:

I have been increasing my water intake since the beginning of the year, but this reminder will give me the push I need to make sure I am getting enough and encourage my kids to do the same! As for God’s Word, I am going to commit to time in God’s Word even on the days that I don’t get up quite as early as I had planned!

Dear Darla,
      Good for you! I do pray that God’s Word jumps off the page at you and that you see things and learn things you’ve never seen or known before. May He answer your prayers and inspire you to fresh faith for this next season. Bless you!

• Heidi says:

I am so excited about participating.
    During this long and cold winter, I lost so much of my energy and gained several pounds. I feel sluggish and tired a lot. I am looking forward to the challenge and so appreciate the physical as well as spiritual push in the right direction.
    I hope to find some energy returning, spiritually as well physically …
    THANK YOU!
    Off to grab me some water 🙂

Heidi,
      I’m excited to have you along with us! And I do pray you experience just what you’ve mentioned: that you notice yourself feeling better, getting healthier, and that your times with God would become your most sacred part of the day. God bless you, dear!

• Stephanie says:

Drinking water, my favorite refreshment! I will add reading these scriptures provided during my lunches. Thank you, Susie, for this 40 day challenge!!

Dear Stephanie,
      It sounds like you’re off to a great start! May you be inspired and blessed as you take this journey with us!

• Pepper Garner says:

My goal is to lose 15 lbs n jump start my weight loss while getting into a daily routine of devotionals with God♥ I’m so good at helping others, time to help myself for my own well being.

1. Susie Larson says:

There you go, Pepper! It does take time to care for our physical and spiritual health, but the fruit of it is exponential. I pray you find joy and delight in investing some time in yourself both physically and spiritually. May God surprise you along the way! Bless you!

• Joy says:

drinking more water is easy, will do my daily reading when my husband is doing his!

That’s great, Joy!
      May your prayer times grow you spiritually beyond your wildest dreams! God bless you!

• Sheila says:

Get up earlier each day to have quiet time and go to work out in the morning at 8:30 am. Drinking the water, I will make a chart to mark off. I’m not a water drinker but I know how good it is for me. Grateful for everything. Remind myself of that daily in my prayer and when out and about.

Sheila,
      Way to go! May God give you grace for these disciplines and may you notice a difference right away both physically and spiritually. God bless you!

• Robin says:

I’ll be carrying my water bottle with me and reading Gospel of John, but most importantly, to keep myself accountable, I’ll be posting on this comments section. God has been moving dramatically in my life recently, and even then, i am amazed how I can be easily distracted!! Lead on Lord!

Oh I love it, Robin!
      I want to hear how God is moving in your life! Please keep sharing with us! We love it! May God move in and through you in ways the go above and beyond your hopes or dreams. I often notice that when the winds start to blow, it’s because God is getting ready to move me to my next place of promise. May He give you faith and peace as you journey with Him. Bless you!

• Jen says:

My goal is not only to improve my own physical and spiritual health,but that of my little boy as well. I plan on sharing scriptures with him daily!

Very cool, Jen!
      May God bless you both as you go on this journey with us! May He draw you closer to each other, and especially close to Him. 🙂

• usmlaura says:

I already drink 32 – 50 ozs of water day, plus 32 oz of unsweetened tea. My goal now is to become more regular with reading the Word each day.

That’s perfect, Laura!
      As you dig into God’s Word, may you grow in the knowledge of God, grow in an understanding of your great value in Him, and grow in your capacity to walk by faith to the places He has for you. God bless you!

• Bonnie Rogers says:

I am adding more water and commiting to do Joyce Meyers 3030 program of reading and studying Gods Word for 30 min every day.

Sounds good, Bonnie!
      God bless you greatly as you join us on this journey! Glad to have you with us!

2. Deb Skibbe says:

I have heard Joyce talk about the 3030 program. But when I read your post a thought came to mind. Why not do a 303030. 30 min, in Gods Word, 30 min of exercise,for 30 days.

• Danita Cummins says:

I am very excited about this journey! I have wanted to implement a Lent cleansing period in my life for a few years. I plan to get up earlier each day to take time to read my Bible and spend a few minutes seeking the face of Jesus. I know His holy words will and have healed me from the inside out and I am looking forward to this adventure. I pray God keeps you safe today.

Danita,
      I loved your post. May God do everything in you and then some! May He open your eyes to the wonder of His love. May He awaken your heart to His heart for you. May He bring clarity to your understanding of what His Word says and what He’s saying to you. May God be intimately near in the days ahead. Bless you.

• Anna Rodgers says:

My goal is to spend 30 minutes a day with God.

Anna,
      Thanks for sharing! So glad to have you with us! God bless you!

• Margaret Arkell says:

To set aside a time to be quiet and in Gods word daily
    and faithful in prayer
    to increase my capacity to to love and follow Jesus wholeheartedly

Margaret,
      This is such a lovely post. May God grant your heart’s desires and then some! May He meet you in profound ways on this 40-Day journey.

• Heidi Osborn says:

Does 8-10 glasses of water include milk, juice or coffee or is it 8-10 glasses of water plus any beverages? What size glass(8oz. or 16oz.) for the 8-10?

Dear Heidi,
      That’s a great question! No, milk, juice, and coffee don’t account for water. In fact, it’s good to add an 8oz glass of water for every cup of coffee you have because coffee has a diuretic effect. It’s good–as a rule–to drink 8-10 glasses of water (8oz each). Some fitness professionals say that more specifically, you should drink half your weight in ounces of water (ex. 100 pounds = 50 ounces of water a day). Does that make sense? Bless you!

• Irvina says:

Im doing Tony Evan’s bible study right now and Im into the 4th week of it. It is a great study called God’s Kingdom Agenda, It is keeping me in the word but I will add more to that and read a little more.
    Water is going to be a challenge for me. I will try to drink more water this week, focusing on God as I do, he is the living water and I give Him all the glory.

Dear Irvina,
      I LOVE Dr. Tony Evans! Glad you’re doing one of his studies. I pray God blesses you with the grace and inspiration to drink your water. He is the living water and He is with you! Bless you, dear!

• Terri Loveland says:

This is a great place to start. I’m already in a great Bible study that is helping me love God’s Word more than ever. I’m in the Word every day and loving it. I’ve been trying more recently to drink more water but it helps that it is part of this challenge.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Terri,
      So glad to have you with us! It sounds like you’ve got some great disciplines already established. May God encourage and bless you in the 40 days ahead!