Do you find yourself constantly tired? Are you irritable? Difficult to be around? Time to look at your sleep habits and do something about them.
If you are tossing and turning consider these 5 tips:
1. The effects of caffeine can last up to 8 hours after you indulge. So maybe skip the after dinner coffee with dessert.
2. Adjust your weekend hours of sleep. So many of us stay up later and sleep in on weekends, but this throws our sleep schedule completely off. It is better to keep your sleep and wake schedule the same on weekends.
3. There is so much activity in your home that you find yourself eating dinner late in the evening. The problem is that heavy or large meals eaten within a couple hours of bedtime can keep you awake. Eat earlier or eat a very light meal at night.
4. If your bedroom is toasty hot, turn down the temperature. A dark and cool bedroom helps you sleep better.
5. If you watch TV to try and fall asleep, this may not work as the bright lights can signal the brain to wake up!
6. Too much to think about and remember? Write it down. If you put the issues on paper, you are less likely to toss and turn thinking about them. A racing mind keeps you awake. End your day with prayer and meditation. Read the Bible and quiet your mind. Cast your cares on God and settle your mind on His goodness.