If prayer is mostly a mealtime event, or only happens when you’re sick or in trouble, then this program will be especially helpful.
Paul Miller is Executive Director of SeeJesus. He’s also a speaker and author of several discipleship curriculums and prayer seminars, including the book A Praying Life. He joins us to talk about A Praying Life: Connecting With God in a Distracting World, and share practical, encouraging principles on prayer to bring joy and life to our faith.
Why is it so challenging for us to pray? Paul says our American culture has a huge influence on us. We’re surrounded by noise, constant entertainment, and busyness.
“We pride ourselves on production, getting things done… praying feels like you’re wasting time.”
It may seem that way, but according to Paul, sometimes sitting quietly and listening to God is the most productive thing we can do. It’s not about seeking to change God’s mind, or even our own circumstances. First and foremost, it’s a way for us to connect with our heavenly Father and listen to His still small voice. Paul points out his own lessons learned by talking to God as a Father:
- Embrace our dependence on God.
- Pray specifically.
- Write down prayer requests and pair them with a verse.
- Prayer is not a formula – God is not a vending machine waiting for us to say the right words in the right order before He releases a Coke.
- Learn to ask God for help as a first reaction rather than a last resort.
- Remember – God loves to give good gifts to His children. Don’t be afraid to ask Him for something! If He doesn’t give you what you’re seeking, you can trust His heart and intentions toward you.
This program originally aired on March 11, 2013.
Leave a comment
Have someting to add? Login or quickly create an account to leave a comment.
Login or Create Account