More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams

Susie Larson

Susie Larson can be heard afternoons on the Faith Radio Network

By:

Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote these powerful words:

“More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.”

Even today, we are walking in, standing on, and surrounded by answers to prayers prayed in the past by us and by others.

I’ve learned so much about prayer in the last decade. I understand more now about prayer than I ever have, and yet I’m still scratching the surface in so many ways. One thing I know for sure though is that God wants us to ask, seek, and knock. He wants us to come boldly into His presence, fully assured of His glad welcome.

I’ve also learned the importance of tenacity and perseverance. When God reveals a promise to me, I now  hang on to it with bulldog faith. Though the elements rage, God’s promises are true. Some of the greatest blessings I enjoy now are from persistent prayers prayed back when…

If you’ve been persevering in prayer, I commend you. Do not relent! Hang on to God’s Word no matter what your circumstances are saying to you.

If up until now you’ve only reacted to life’s circumstances as they come your way and haven’t really embraced the idea of forward moving faith, well, I have great news for you! Today is a new day! God has a promise that fits you perfectly. He has a plan for your life and an intended blessing for your soul. He wants to use you in great ways and He wants to reveal Himself to the world through you.

Your presence on earth today is very important.

Let’s stand together and believe God for great things!

How can we pray for you? What has God been doing in your life?

18 Responses to "More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams"

• marie says:

I need help to go back to God, I been lost for many many years I make a decision now I want god in my life I know only him can help me get my life Back, almost 5 years my marriage is mess up .I want to get back to my husband for real, he is a good men he is in love with me but my heart is some place else. Because I can’t forgive anyone.
    I listen to your radio every morning, I read your book but I don’t know-how to pray God please help me

Marie

• Susan S says:

I heard your show yesterday and the letter you read to Dr. Greg Smalley regarding second marriage after an affair and the guilt the woman was unde 25 years later…could it be just living with the circumstance’s (watching her second husbands first wife grow old alone? *maybe she is standing for her marriage?).. and even if she has asked Gods forgiveness for breaking apart his first marriage, isn’t that first marriage a lifelong covenant with God? ( I wondered why Gary didn’t mention asking forgiveness from the first wife?).. after God of course..isn’t that what your supposed to do or not? Susie, I am confused by the worlds view on this and after being down to the marriage institute with the Smalley’s in Branson and myself still praying for a restored marriage..I just wonder if it’s not the consequences that God still allows even after forgiveness..I feel bad for all involved- I just think it sounded way too easy to destroy families with Gary’s response..and wondering if you guys can do more on this subject as it is a really hard one all around..Blessing to you, Thanks for your work and Greg’s.I know God loves All of us sinners as we are all sinners so not trying to condemn..just wonder if Christians don’t stand up for marriage, when or how will the situation improve for our childrens, children & generations to come.. I did pray along when Gary asked for Truth on this situation..your both great..just really hard stuff that I think you guys have a place to speak about..I need to understand this..Blessings and thanks for thinking about this again..

1. Susie Larson says:

Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for your comment. I truly appreciate your thoughts!

I can’t tell you how many times after a show has ended that I think, ‘Ugh! I was so focused on this point that I miss ‘that’ point!’ It’s tricky with live radio and I’m managing several screens at once behind the scenes and watching the clock for our breaks – I love it, but it’s a lot to manage all at once. So every once in a while I feel like I miss an obvious point. All of that to say, I’m so sorry if it felt like we didn’t fully handle this situation rightly. My sense is that this woman DID ask the first wife for forgiveness in that she went to her, has stayed connected with her, tried to help her, and now considers her a friend. The woman who wrote the letter mentioned her first husband won’t have anything to do with her so she’s burned that bridge (which, God could resurrect; wouldn’t it be something if He restored both marriages?). I did mention that some of what she’s dealing with is the backlash and consequences of her sin; but I don’t believe that God wants her to sit under condemnation to the point of daily misery. Greg did say that God hates divorce. I don’t know, it’s really a tough one. I do agree with you that so much of our perspective on biblical issues seems to evolve with the culture and that is so scary. I pray every day that the Lord will help me rightly handle the Word of Truth.

Please let me know if there’s more than you need from me regarding this issue. And, if there’s more you think I should say on the air about it.

I appreciate your note.

God bless you, dear sister!

Susie

• I please ask for fervent prayers to our God above to be with my son Ricky and me tomorrow in court for first hearing of his divorce. This has him very nervous and for me too since I am testifying as his caregiver since last December. Even though I have asked him to turn this all over to our dear Lord, he is still worried cause of all the demands of his to be ex-wife Thank you all in advance as we know that God already knows the outcome. God bless all of you! heart emoticon

• Cheryl says:

I struggle with prayer. Years ago I prayed so hard for the life of one I loved so dearly to be spared, yet this person died. It took me a long time to find my way back to prayer. I pray every day, usually several times…some longer, some shorter…I also try to remember to say thank you for each blessing. However, I am now urgently praying for another person in my life…have been praying hard for almost a year now. A lot of unfairness is involved in this situation…my heart hurts so much…I struggle. I’m tired…I want peace…I want blessings for this person that is so dear to me…I want my prayer to be answered. But I struggle in wondering if this prayer too will go unanswered. I know God “can” answer prayer…I guess it’s just that I question “if” he will answer my prayer. I ask for forgiveness for these feelings daily. And I keep praying. Lord, please hear my prayer.

• Kim A says:

I thought I was hearing direction from God but am now wondering due to this transition season lasting a lot longer than I anticipated. My car broke down again today. I am still living with a family member as I try to find more income for my own place. This was a more than timely post. I am believing God for a glimpse of the next best steps, clarity of his voice and a Ephesians 3:20 moment!!

• Michele Roberts says:

I’ve been praying and standing in faith for four years now, and either nothing changes or it gets worse. It is hard to hold on to hope these days. Especially when the other person involved, the one I am praying for, just seems to get worse and it seems there is absolutely no way I will see my prayers answered. I have seen this answer so clearly, but nothing could be further from reality at this point. I don’t know how to keep going but I don’t know how to give up, either. Please pray for me. This hurts and I don’t want to do it anymore. It no longer matters that He gives me the strength to get through it, I don’t want to have to get through it anymore. I really want it to be over and the hurt because of the unanswered prayer and unfulfilled hope to end!!!!

1. Joy says:

Gosh reading your post…It is my very own heart! I too have been praying for answers and haven’t seen them happen and holding on hurts so much sometimes! I am praying with you tonight…holding up your hands…and believing with you that our Father knows, he hears and when the time is right…He will answer!

• Troy Barnaby says:

Very wonderful and inspirational article. This article gives us a wonderful perspective on prayer and the effect prayer has had on this world through the ages. :) Continue to pray for in Jesus’s name. :) Amen. :)

• letitia says:

i have always been inspired by the statement, more things are
    wrought by prayer than this world dreams of

• walter kiser says:

wow ptl…I am working on power / prayer & praise to His glory…I have significant physical challenges but I have come to the conclusion: God is glorfied whether I am sick or whether I AM WELL. Age 69.

• Helen Martin says:

Oh, you’re welcome! Hope it was helpful.

I just had to write again because you know that book that Ken and I were reading. He’s done. And I’m on page… 45.

Seriously.

:-) Helen

• Helen Martin says:

Hi Susie,

I heard your caller, Brandi, say how she has a hard time reading the Bible, but that she (like me!) seems to learn much better through what she hears.

Here is the website where I listen; it’s free and I do love the version that’s read there. http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/browse/

I read the Word, too, but lately when I sit down to read anything, I fall asleep! (My beloved is almost done with a book we both started on the same day, and I think I’m on page 40 or something!)

So listening (while doing mentally passive activities–like unloading the dishwasher in the morning, or folding, and folding, and folding, and folding clothes) has been my way of getting Scripture into me even during this really busy and tiring season.

I just hope Brandi has internet access!

:-) Helen

1. Susie-Larson says:

Helen,

Thanks for this!

You are such a minister to people; helping however you can. I love that.

Bless you, dear sister!

• Linda McGraw says:

Susie,

I continue a 6.5 year long stand to “call things forth as they are not” for a person dear to my heart. I cannot say near and dear as I had to physically distance myself from him as it just got too painful and hard on my heart. I pray for him unceasingly even though my flesh doesn’t want to. When I ask to be released I get the usual… “Be Still and KNOW that I am God”. At this stage of the game it would be a relief for God to tell me to move on even though over the years I asked for us to be reunited. Somewhere in the depts of my heart I sense that it could be true, but it has been so long (and I’m sure others have perservered longer than that), that I don’t know what God spoke to my heart… or at least out of sheer weariness it gets lost… but when I get on my face the tears come and I weep as in Romans 9:2 says”

New International Version (©1984)

I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. It feels like I am in labor over this and I just want to give birth already. His name is Michael and I would appreciate any and all prayers for him. He reads the Word but I don’t see any fruit, only sin. You see I won’t be physical with him, so he finds someone who will, yet will persue me. I had to not answer calls anymore. I just couldn’t take hearing his voice knowing what I know that he is doing. My heart breaks. Thanks for listening.

Linda

1. Susie-Larson says:

Oh, bless you, dear Linda!

God is with you to strengthen you and give you peace! As you place this ‘desire of your heart’ on the altar, God will establish you in His purposes for you. He never contradicts Himself. He won’t ask you to move towards someone who would move you away from Him. So either He wants time and space to work in His life (and yours), or He has another plan. I know it’s not easy. Not at all. But it’s possible. You will survive this and you will come through stronger than ever! Be bold and courageous; do not fear or be dismayed; for the Lord YOUR GOD is with you wherever you go!

Blessings to you, sister!

2. mADISON says:

Dear Linda,
      Take comfort in knowing that GOD has a plan for you. When he shows you a purpose, he wants you to persevere. Six or seven years may seem long to you if you are young. I am not young, so I can assure you that your feelings are perfectly normal. Take heart. My rewards for six years and forty three years resulted in two blissful marriages. My ‘athiest’ became a Christian, after forty three years of watching GOD work through me. Great determination and absolute faith are the pathway to bliss. Trust GOD. Trust in his ability to lead you on the correct path. You will be joyously blessed. GOD has given me this message especially for you. TRUST HIM.

3. Bambi says:

Linda, I am there now. I keep bringing this petition to my Father. I get down on bended knee, I cry out to Him at night, I cry out to Him in the car. It has been 5 years for me.

I was married to this man for 25 years. Unfortunately we both estranged ourselves from God, and divorce became the result. Since then I have found my way back to God & I have no desire to distance my self again. God has rescued me through so much destruction of my own doing. For that, I am thankful. He has given me Peace in situations that I felt I didn’t deserve. But there is this one breakthrough I pray for. To be reunited again.

These words come to me often, He does not want me to be unequally yoked. I keep praying for my ex’s repentance & rededication. I am understanding more & more that He needs to work on him again as well. Until then, I will keep persevering in praying for him & us. I know God will answer. Trying to keep the faith.

Thank you Susie for your inspiring messages & encouragement. I have shared your inspiration to many others who have called on me to pray for them. Thank you for all you do.